6 Ways to Promote a Good Night's Sleep!
Falling asleep may seem like an impossible dream when you’re awake at 3am! But I’m happy to share a number of top tips here, to promote a restless-free sleep for you!
1. The right colours - According to surveys, pale blue rooms get the thumbs up for the best night's sleep! This colour is associated with feelings of calmness, such as rippling water or blue skies, it's also said to help reduce blood pressure and heart rate. Moss green, pale yellow, and silver followed close behind.
2. Make your sleep environment relaxing - A quiet, dark, cool environment can help promote sound slumber… why do you think bats congregate in caves for their daytime sleep? Try earplugs to cut out noise, use heavy curtains or blackout shades, or perhaps an eye mask to block light, Keep the temperature in the room between 60 and 75°F, and well ventilated. And make sure your mattress and pillows are super comfy!
3. Electronic free zone! Keep Laptops, TVs, and work materials out of the room to strengthen the mental association between your bedroom and sleep.
4. Establish a Soothing Pre-Sleep Routine – A light reading before bed is a good way to prepare, or take a hot bubbly bath before turning in.
5. Avoid physically and psychologically stressful activities before bedtime – This can cause the body to secrete Cortisol, the stress hormone, which is associated with increasing alertness. If you tend to take your problems to bed, try writing them down, then put them aside!
6. Lighten Up on Evening Meals - Eating a curry at 10pm may be a recipe for disaster if you’re looking for the perfect 8 hours! Try to finish dinner a few hours before bedtime and avoid foods that cause indigestion, or even insomnia!
Happy napping x